Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Spot: Commanche Day Point

Amy decided to call the ranger at the Commanche Resevior and ask what the wind conditions were like, a very smart idea since I rely soley on iwindsurf for data, and I wasn't about to drive up there to be skunked.
He said "It's really windy, you could almost surf some of those waves out there..." and with that we off.
We'd never been here before, nor had anyone ever recommended the spot to us. I found Commanche on mapquest, and guessed that the north shore could work on the southerly storm winds, but I had no idea if it would be good or not. 
When we got there I saw what looked to be a portion of glass flat water tucked a low lying strip of land just high enough to keep the chop out, but not the wind.
At first I couldn't help but think that something was wrong, I mean this was too good to be true. The spot had to be too shallow, or maybe the wind was being blocked on the inside. It's not everyday you drive some where randomly that you've never been and find a top notch freestyle spot, and yet that seemed to be the case. A few pumps got me speeding across the buttery smoothe surface with a huge smile on my face. I took a couple of speed runs to get my blood flowing and than began to work on some freestyle. In normal conditions I would have been way over powered, bouncing out of control, but here it was easy to control my board speed.
 I don't think Amy has ever been in water as flat as we did today, and she really seemed to enjoy herself. She had no problem working on foot straps, jibes and tacks with the confidance that comes from not bumping all over the place while trying to think.
We were all smiles at the end of the day, but I couldn't help but think how many southerly storms winds I chased around Rio Vista only to be disappointed. At least now I know where to go, and if there's anymore storms winds this season I will gladly drive up to the Commanche Resivior for some of the best freestyle conditions I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment