Friday, May 7, 2010

Tease winds, new gear update, and some wind?

The last week of April we sailed 5 out of 7 days, but now a week into May we've seen about one good day out here in the Delta. Mean while the Bay Area has been on fire. Time to drive I guess...
The biggest tease, however, is that for most sailors, 4 of the past 7 afternoons might have be sailable if not for the ultra strong flood tide. Drifting down wind trying to pump on a plane to throw a flaka and then having to rock climb out of the water and walk a half mile up wind to your car just isn't as fun as I'd thought it'd be. Ok, so zero good days so far this month.
For this week a series of strong afternoon Ebs will make for some great afternoon sessions, so with a bit of wind the Delta could be the place.
On the gear front, I finally used the production freestyle fin I got for Christmas. I'll admit, I was hesitant. I mean, I can take just about any old fin and turn it into a custom freestyle stub for little to no cost, so why spend over $100 bucks to get one at the shop? Well, after replacing my custom freestyle/weed fin with a brand new 16cm MFC production freestyle fin, I was sold.
The production fin cuts through the water with so much more efficiency that I now plane quicker and find greater top end speed. Not to mention the thing virtually disappears while I'm spinning.
Conclusion: Worth it!!!
Dakine finally filled in the gaps of their beloved Mono lines and I was able to pick up a set of 26's. What a huge difference from my 24's interms of ability to get the mast upright, and yet I didn't get the stretched out monkey arm feeling like I do from 28's; so much more comfortable. (Delta Windsurfing just got a truck load of fins and lines in, FYI.)
Also, by the end of next week, I should be the proud owner of a brand new F2 Rodeo 98 and a Rebel 75. From what I've heard, the Rodeo could be best production freestyle board of 2010, but I won't get ahead of myself. What I will say is that the only real way to get them is through special order with Ocean Air, and supplies are limited, so I will review them quickly for any interested parties (I over estimate the interest of my fan base). Otherwise purewindsurfing.blogspot.com posted a helpful review on the Rodeo and is currently the only North American to have one.

1 comment:

  1. You're not over estimating the interest of your fan base. I'm your #1 fan and I can't wait for the stellar review your going to give the rodeo. Now go get some wind!!!

    ReplyDelete