Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Windy Week!




Seven sailers in one small frame, just a sample of the population

 We finally had a good thermal pattern last week, catching four windy days over a seven day span, with three of them being solid 4.2 conditions. Sunday, which was one of the best, blew over 25 for most of the afternoon. Pulling up to the beach the water looked more like The Hatchery than Heckscher State Park. There had to be at least 40 people on the water all on 4.5 sails or smaller and waveboards. Guys were flying, trying all kinds of moves like shuv its, vulcans, and willy skippers, all of which were made to look heroic in the strong winds and the ensuing crashes were often spectacular as the victim would be ejected from the rig then disappear into a ball of white water!


Shakas are challenging when the wind speed hits 30. Photo: John Dunn

Personally, I finally got up the guts to try a one handed Ponch. This is a move that I have wired with both hands on the boom, but the occasional screw up has been known to end numerous session prematurely and painfully, which is in part an explanation for my hesitation to progress the trick. The conditions were ripe for ponches, which I was already getting bored with and the wind was a bit strong to attempt some of the other, more technical tricks, so I decided it was time to go for it. Four attempts later I made one, and went on to hit another 5 that day. Immediately, I was disappointed that I hadn't gone for it sooner. It's amazing how mental freestyle can be, to think that I could have make this move a long time ago if I just had the guts to go for it.
Looks like some sea breeze potential later on this week, can't wait to see everyone at the beach!


No comments:

Post a Comment